Sometime in April, Mark and I received this nice letter from President Val Hawks, Kyle’s mission president. It is the kind of letter you hope to receive as the parent of a missionary and are very grateful for when you do. Thank you President Hawks!
April 4, 2013
Dear Brother and Sister Mark George Allen,
It is with great pleasure that I write about the call of your son Elder Kyle Mark Allen to be a district leader and a senior companion in our mission. He has been an outstanding missionary and has earned the love and respect of his companions, missionary associates and the members. I feel that he exemplifies the qualities of being a Preach My Gospel missionary and that he is well prepared to serve in this new assignment in the China Hong Kong Mission.
District leaders fulfill a fundamental role in the success of the mission and of the missionaries. The elder assigned as a district leader, among other things, has the following responsibilities:
- Sets an example for the missionaries in his district
- Carries a full proselyting load
- Supervises, teaches, and inspires missionaries in his district
- Plans and conducts weekly district meetings
- Conducts companion exchanges
- Interviews baptismal candidates
- Looks after the well-being of the missionaries
- Follows-up with missionaries on referrals
Senior companions are involved in helping their companions in the following areas:
- Gospel study
- Language study
- Missionary skills such as finding and teaching
- Daily and weekly planning sessions
- Overall well-being and success as a missionary
I love and appreciate Elder Allen and have great confidence in him. He loves the Lord and I know the Lord loves him. Thank you for raising such a fine son, and helping him prepare so well for serving as a full-time missionary. May the Lord bless you and your family.
Val D. Hawks, President